Tips to avoid the holiday crowds
The week after Christmas is one of our busiest of the year. Avoid the holiday crowds with these tips:
- Start early: The gondola opens at 8:30 a.m. Get an early start to the day for shorter lines, wide-open runs, fresh snow and pristine corduroy.
- Discover a new lift: High-speed quads like Storm Peak, Sundown and Sunshine are popular during the holidays. Try a new lift, like Four Points, Bar UE or Priest Creek.
- Eat an early or late lunch: Everyone heads to lunch at about noon. Plan to eat earlier or later and get double the benefit: shorter lift lines when everyone is taking a lunch break and shorter food lines when everyone heads back out on the hill.
- Skip Elkhead: Skiers and riders mostly rely on Elkhead to return to the front side of the mountain after a day of fun in Sunshine Bowl. Advanced skiers can avoid the end-of-day line on Elkhead by riding Sundown and taking Traverse (blue) to Storm Peak South (black). Intermediate and beginner skiers can take the Duster trail to greens and blues on the front side of the mountain. Be aware that some poling will be required on this cat track. (See the trail map here.)
- Download: If your legs are tired at the end of the day, there’s no better way to get down the mountain than a ride on the gondola.
Follow these tips to avoid the holiday crowds, and maybe you’ll discover some new areas of the mountain. Enjoy!
Nicole Miller, Alpine skier
- Junior Mountain Reporter Raeglan
Raeglan visited Steamboat from North Carolina. Watch more Junior Mountain Reporter videos on our YouTube…
- Mountain People
I've come to the realization that there are people who enjoy every aspect of the…
- Junior Mountain Reporter Grady
Grady is from Steamboat Springs. Watch more Junior Mountain Reporter videos on our YouTube page.
Error: Access Token is not valid or has expired. Feed will not update.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
There's an issue with the Instagram Access Token that you are using. Please obtain a new Access Token on the plugin's Settings page.
If you continue to have an issue with your Access Token then please see this FAQ for more information.