Steamboat

Your vacation planning community

okay some serious snow fall needs to come!!!! time for all of us to do our snow dances. i will be out dec 24 th and I really want a white Christmas. ;what are the chances of getting more snow out there soon???? any long range weather modules out there? think snow! sf

Views: 355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's the long range model website that I watch. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/
(courtesy of forum member/meteorologist, Damon Lane from a few years ago.)
Next week looks hopeful on the weather.com 10 day forecast.
It's snowing right now!
It snowed in Dallas this morning.
rained here in georgia,,wannabe snow!
We had some large, very wet, flakes mixed in with the rain here in central Arkansas this afternoon.
Hey ya'll..I am back! (Hey Mesa!) . Next week is looking somewhat interesting. Start paying close attention to Sunday night...Monday..Monday Night..Tuesday timeframe for some decent snowfall. Not a HUGE storm, but perhaps enough to start getting rid of that brown grass poking through higher up. I wouldn't be surprised if a good 8-12 inches fall
Best weather forecating out there is NWS Grand Junction. You can look at the lows and Highs coming in from the West and also track Jet Stream. Depending on the pressure systems you can see the storm track and flows. I can say with absolute certainty that Steamboat will be getting love this wekend and into the beginning of this coming week. It is colder than we want but we will get some white gold out of it.
Temps are the most important factor to depth totals so doesn't look like the big one yet but the Lows are lining up in the Western Pacific and we seem to be getting the correct pressure gradients now for storm tracks. Usally happens around the 10th of Dec that we get what we need to start producing.
Check out this link and you will start to get the idea.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/gjt/
scroll down to anitmated loops (IR) and you will be able to see developing tracks. Southerly flows are not good anything from the NW we get clobbered and anything from San Fran to LA we are good but especially Mammoth Lakes North.
Hope this helps and come say hi at the base area.

Chad Fleischer
thanks
Chad for the response, I have watching you ski race over the years and I will come by and say Hi!! I am getting excited about coming out again. It has been 2 yrs since we were there and it feels like the first time each time. Not the best skiier but I can get down the mountain most of the time! Looking forward to being there!!!!
Thanks again,
Patti
I will echo what Chad said. The guys at the NWS office in Grand Junction are a good group of guys. Looking more at next weeks weather models(the GFS and EURO), both show some good snow early next week. Of course it's still a few days a way and the models can and sometimes do shift their tracks. But, it's worth paying attention to. I'll post a little more on here over the next few days and break it down.. in the meantime.. keep paying attention to The Grand Junction office weather discussions. Their wording right now on this week and next week is starting to get kinda strong in terms of snowfall totals. The below is a SPECIAL WEATHER STAEMENT

...A PAIR OF STORMS WILL IMPACT THE REGION BEGINNING THIS WEEKEND...

TWO STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO MOVE THROUGH THE AREA THIS WEEKEND AND
EARLY IN THE COMING WEEK. THE FIRST STORM WILL ARRIVE SATURDAY NIGHT
WITH SNOWFALL BECOMING LIKELY NORTH OF THE INTERSTATE 70 CORRIDOR.
SNOW IS EXPECTED TO SPREAD INTO SOUTHERN COLORADO ON SUNDAY DURING
THE MOST ACTIVE PHASE OF THE STORM. THIS STORM COULD BRING FROM 4
TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW TO THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL MOUNTAINS WITH LIGHT
ACCUMULATIONS OVER THE NORTHERN PLATEAU AND HIGH CENTRAL VALLEYS.
MEANWHILE...A COLD FRONT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS STORM IS EXPECTED TO
KEEP TEMPERATURES WELL BELOW NORMAL FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR.

AFTER A PERIOD OF DECREASED SNOW SUNDAY NIGHT...THE SECOND...STRONGER
STORM WILL BEGIN TO IMPACT THE REGION MONDAY. A SURGE OF PACIFIC
MOISTURE AHEAD OF THIS STORM WILL LIKELY FUEL WIDESPREAD SNOWFALL
ACROSS THE REGION THROUGH TUESDAY. IF THE LATEST PROJECTIONS ARE
ACCURATE...MOUNTAIN LOCATIONS COULD SEE FROM 1 TO 2 FEET OF NEW SNOW
WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR HIGHER AMOUNTS IN THE SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS. IN
ADDITION...TEMPERATURES WILL BE COLD ENOUGH FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW
FOR EVEN THE LOWEST VALLEYS. DEPENDING UPON THE ORIENTATION AND
POSITION OF THE COLD FRONT DURING THIS EVENT...SOME VALLEYS COULD
SEE SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS AS WELL.

This link here is for their FORECAST DISCUSSIONS
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=GJT&a...
I like the sound of this report, especially the 1-2 feet bit!!!!!
thanks DamonWX
Saturday Update: Next week could turn out to be a snow lovers dream for The Boat. Snow tonight, another round for Monday night into Tuesday and then perhaps late next week. The only changes I see forthcoming is that snow totals may have to be bumped up from what I listed below. Also, could be getting windy too. The challenges with mountain forecasting are the microclimates, so it's tough to pinpoint exactly what Steamboat will see. But, given the series of storms starting today and all the way into late next week, I would not be surprised to see snow measured in the feet out there. 3 feet maybe? Followed by the potential for some cold air late next week..maybe...
I'm loving the sound of the weather next week! My trip is planned for monday through saturday.. so perfect timing! I'm just wondering... is it possible that the storms could affect the skiing negatively? in other words, is it possible that trails, etc would be limited due to too much snow/wind? Might be a silly question-- I'm just an uninformed Floridian! :)

Also, if it snows a decent amount Monday/Tuesday, how soon after would more trails open? Is it usually a pretty quick turnaround after a good foot or two of snow?

Thanks!!

RSS

Steamboat Reservations

Call: (877) 783-2628 or book online

Steamboat.com, the Official Site for Steamboat Ski Resort.

For mobile phone updates including snow, lifts & trails, follow us on:

Latest Activity

Julien Hradecky replied to Julien Hradecky's discussion anything new on the mountain for ski season 2014-2015?
"Thanks. Time for some upgrades to the lifts."
2 hours ago
Dale Fuller is now a member of Steamboat
3 hours ago
Steamboat PR's blog post was featured
4 hours ago
Steamboat PR posted a blog post
4 hours ago
jg atl replied to Julien Hradecky's discussion anything new on the mountain for ski season 2014-2015?
"I asked this same question to a buddy that works for the resort.  Answer was expanded night…"
5 hours ago
Julien Hradecky posted a discussion

anything new on the mountain for ski season 2014-2015?

Any improvements to the on-mountain experience for the coming ski year?See More
yesterday
Profile IconGaston G. Nogales and Joseph S McManus joined Steamboat
Wednesday
Profile IconJames M. Carter Jr., Alex and Marie Souchon Garrett Sanders joined Steamboat
Monday

© 2014   Created by Steamboat.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service